Remember ...

If not now, when?

Thursday 7 May 2020

Summerhouse Styling


Summerhouse Styling - The Gossip Chair. 



.
As a brown wood chair it sat in my gran’s house.  It had been handed down to her.  As children we observed that it was the place where her adult visitors (like our mum) would sit and spill out their news.

They spoke together in Guernsey French patois which was adult-speke and we kiddies hadn't a clue what they were talking about (we spoke english).  But from their tone and body language we knew the chatter was local chitchat and not world politics. 
So we Sibs named it The Gossip Chair. 
.
I saved it when we cleared gran’s house nine years ago because I felt it was key to the house and our memories of it, and last week I finally painted it. .
.
I’d thought long and hard before applying paint to it.  But its heritage and integrity are still there IMHO, it’s just been given a new lease of life ... and it looks rather happy for that. .


.
It will probably take me another ten years to reupholster the seat!.


I loving saving things.  You too?
Do you like upcycling?  Mending?  Fixing?
TP and I are avid make do and menders.  During this lockdown, TP and I have been making do and mending with the bits and pieces we find around the house, shed and garden, rather than heading to the DIY shop for them paint, bits of wood etc, which of course we can’t do right now.

It’s worked well - err apart from when he’d been zealously fixing garden furniture with bits of  “really good” wood he’d found in the shed, only to discover after fixing picnic table and garden sofa that he’d been using the slats from a bed we’d dismantled!  Oooops!
.
.
A la perchoine,
Mary x



#upcycling #familypieces #familychair

10 comments:

  1. That is a very elegant chair. I think it looks lovely in white and goes so well in your she-shed.
    What will you do with the slat-less bed??? Will you have to buy new wood for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jay, it's does look good in the she-shed eh.
      And yes, when lockdown is over I'm sending hubs, tail between legs, down to the timber yard!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  2. I love the Gossip Chair painted white - I find upcycling so interesting and enjoy the stories the pieces tell! That chair would have lots of good stories I'm sure!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of local gossip for sure! And that's something I've found out about you today sista, a shared love of upcycling!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  3. That chair looks fab all tarted up. I can just imagine someone else sitting there to continue gossiping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like starting up! It's the perfect partner for your chair, also in there.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  4. I love the chair! Did you use regular or chalk paint? That finish is just what I'm looking for to do to an old chair I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now heres the thing - I used nothing fancy. As part of my make do and mend in lockdown, I made do with what was available and that was Valspar outdoor paint leftover from painting the summerhouse inside and out. I also used it for the leaded glass cabinet. Taadaaahhh!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  5. The chair is lovely and looks fab now it's been painted. I think the lockdown has certainly brought out people's creativity in all sorts of ways.

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vronni, and yes, making do and mending is manifesting around house, garden and on our plates, and long may this continue!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete