Remember ...

If not now, when?

Sunday 23 June 2019

Turning Norwegian





When I go on holiday, this little boy needs sitting.



So for my recent trip to Sussex I welcomed Norway 🇳🇴 into my home. 



This lovely couple took good amazing care of Bertie, despite the challenges he threw at them!
They sent me reassuring daily pictures and videos of my boy whilst I was away.



But it wasn't plain sailing.  Bertie had plans of his own and his reoccurring cystitis flared up on the day of my departure.  So I didn’t depart.  I waited until vet, TLC and time had done their jobs. 


Meantime, I soon slipped easily into Norwegian life.   Scandinavian style breakfasts with my guests. 



Beautiful home-baked bread each morning.



Watching my guests quickly settle in, here spying a cat climb up the olive tree.

Conversation slipped seamlessly between Norwegian/Danish and English, sometimes mid-sentence.  It was a fantastic opportunity for me to indulge in my passion for Scandinavian languages and a great refresher.


And so the breakfasts continued.  Cheeses, smoked trout, fruit.

Each day the breakfast plates were decorated with whatever freshness was to hand ... basil, chives, a little fruit, tomatoes.


 

J's bread really was something else and I’ll post on that shortly.  You WILL want to read that post!


R 's  Breakfast included a Gammel Dansk (Old Danish) each day.  It's a sort of fortified spirit.  I remembered it being a traditional tipple to start the day off when I lived in Denmark and the Danes swore a daily shot kept them fit and healthy.  It's nice to see the tradition lives on.  


Skaal!

My guest tells me he always packs a bottle or two when travelling and he's never suffered from any tummy upsets, despite sometimes travelling to pretty dodgy areas of the globe that are known to be tummy-challenging.  Maybe there is something in this Old Danish tradition, after all ...




So I took my trip three days later than planned, and returned back home three days earlier than planned.  There's a certain symmetry in that eh?
Yes, Bertie had further episodes whilst I was away and after the second episode I decided I'd better get back to my boy, despite Son and catsitters handling each event perfectly.  It felt unfair to impose on "the crisis team" any longer




So I decided to turn this pig's ear into a silk purse.
Turn a crisis into a pleasant experience.


I drove the Norwegians to various spots around my pretty island, some being places they wouldn't have otherwise visited.


I had more Scandi breakfasts.


I took them out for fish and chips.


We took time out to watch a slug crawl up a wall on a rainy day.


And I learned how to make tasty bread in a totally revolutionary way!  You REALLY DO need to pop back to read that post!



But mostly I decided to view these unexpected home days as a gift, an opportunity to get to know these special people that little bit better.  And we had a blast!


My Norwegian guests friends have had an impact on me during my unexpected time spent with them.  It's like I've been reminded of my "roots" - yup, more on that in another post too!
 I think I may be giving my life a few welcoming tweaks ...


Life, you're welcome!




Do you find yourself turning a crisis into something pleasant?
Turning a negative experience into something positive?  
Finding that silver lining in the grey cloud hovering overhead?


A la perchoine,
Mary x.


Coming up: bread baking that will blow your mind!


20 comments:

  1. Lovely to read about your 'adventures' with your Norwegian guests. You are so good at turning a little set-back into something fun and positive. Pray tell me the recipe! Talking recipes...I can't wait to see the one for the bread. Glad to hear Bertie was so well looked after. Percy sends his love.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Percy, 💘.
      I can share the bread recipe soon, the other recipe may have to wait!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to read your poorly little cat had a few bad turns. But how lucky to have such great people house sit and keep things ticking over for you. Hope the cat is now much better. Regards - Jill stylishatsixty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet Jill, we're trying to work with the vets to hold poor Bertie together. The satisfying was brilliant.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  3. Hello Pout :) I am glad to hear your lovely cat is feeling better. I am cat sitting for a friend right now and own 3 of the wee beasties myself so can understand all that is involved! Loved seeing all things Scandi that you have been enjoying and will be back to read about that delish looking bread. Hooray for all things Danish (me) and Norwegian too. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aahhh Jules, I should have dedicated this post to you! Hope you're enjoying your catsitting duty, what a kind soul you are to take on three. Bread recipe coming up shortly, you MUST try it!!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  4. I hope Bertie is feeling better now! Good of you that you turned a bad thing into a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. And what else can we do but try to find something positive in these situations eh?I
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  5. How lovely! I've never heard of this, but should anything happen to my dog i'd love to dog sit! Thanks for sharing Mary. x Jacqui Mummabstylish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's something to think about doing some time in the distant future, because I hope you're sweet doggie is going to be a Duracell doggie!!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  6. I’m proud of you. I do hope Bertie is much better. Yes, bread is one thing I don’t make but would love to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, and just wait for my recipe, it's so amazingly simple!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  7. You have me very intrigued with the bread recipe mentions! Hope Bertie is fully recovered. The Norwegian breakfasts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail, I lOVE Scans I breakfasts! And the bread making me this will blow your mind!
      We're just trying how to make Bertie as comfortable as possible.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  8. I need to get back to making bread and trying new ones!
    Hope your kitty is better!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so kind, Mireille. I think my recipe will get you bread making again, coming soon!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  9. Hope Bertie is now ok? Maybe he saw you packing that case Mary! I'm very intriqued by the picture of your garden. Please show us around! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are so right, he gets agitated when he sees the blue suitcases so I try to hide them as much as I can. We're working with the vets to try to work out a management plan.
      Well, you've made me realise I do need to post a garden thing soon, I'll go out and take shots though I'll be selective, there are bits that are not blog-worthy!
      Hugs my dear, happy weekend, x.

      Delete
  10. I find Norwegian an easy language for English speakers to find the basics of. It is harder to master, but so is any language

    ReplyDelete
  11. Norway may not be the usual destination for most tourists who go to Europe but it does provide people with one of the best sights in the world.

    ReplyDelete