Remember ...

If not now, when?

Sunday 3 November 2019

The Pout Cooks ... Onion Tarte Tatin


Hi my lovelies, hope you’re having a lovely weekend.
We’ve had a stormy weekend and I’ve been pretty much holed up indoors and my mind has been straying to comfort food.  So I’m inspired today to share with you a little video (4 mins worth) of some oh so tasty and oohhhh so comforting food I made recently.

It’s quick and easy to make and I’ll list the ingredients above the clip.  
I saw it on Jamie’s Meat-free telly prog and was instantly inspired to try it out. 

But a word of warning - a frying pan handle straight out of the oven is HOT, burning hot.  And it stays  🔥  for at least ten minutes after coming out of the oven.  I know this ... NOW. 
I’m not used to putting a frying pan in the oven (It’s a modern cheffy thing) and when the pan was out and sitting on the hob, I kept instinctively grabbing the handle, screaming (read swearing, badly!), running my hand under the cold tap for several minutes, then back to repeat the whole process again and again.  You’d think pain association would have been lodged in my brain after the first episode.  But no. It was Kitchen Groundhog Day. 

Several hours later and having watched a whole episode of Antiques Roadshow with my only relief from the pain being having my hand wrapped around an ice-filled glass (no room for gin, it was PACKED!), I worked it out that sleeping was going to be a challenge.


We had no burn treatment in the house.  I looked to TP for help and he came up with a cream he uses for dry skin.  I read the deets before using it (of course) and saw that one of the skin conditions it treats is inflammation and my skin certainly was flamin’ hot!  So I applied it.  Minutes later the burning pain disappeared.   I’m not a doctor and I’m not advising you to use this stuff yourself on burns  (and on reflection maybe I should have popped up to A&E) and perhaps it shouldn’t be used like that - but I was desperate and it sure as heck worked for me 👍.



Doublebase gel from Derma Laboratories.  I can’t find it on Amazon.



Oh gawd, I meant this to be a quick post and here I am rambling on again - this always happens when I’m chatting to you guys!!

Anyway, let’s draw a line under this one and with my lesson painfully learned, here are the ingredients for this very yummy ....


Onion Tarte Tatin




Ingredients 

(You can be quite casual towards the ingredients as this type of dish doesn’t require any chemistry so the list is not prescriptive - just look on everything as approximate, and adjust to your preference)





About 50 gr butter
Mix of herbs, fresh or dried (I used an Italian seasoning mix)
Brown sugar (quantity in video, I can’t remember how much!)
Garlic, fresh or granules 
4 tbspn cider vinegar
100 ml water (Which I omitted in the pic above)
4 medium onions, halved

Here’s how you put it together.




Again: The burns are NOT optional, please be very careful with that handle!



I served simply with tomato and avocado and a crumbling of goats cheese.  Yummy.


Straight out of the oven.  Flip it over onto a plate, carefully but quickly.


Enjoy!




A la perchoine, 
Mary x. 


6 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy Mary, I'm drooling at the sight of this. Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqui, it was DELISH and the other half warmed up a treat next day.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  2. uuuuuuuuummmmm looks tasty! This is making me hungry and it is quite a while off our dinner. May give this a try. Hope your hand is mending.
    Regards - Jill stylishatsixty
    www.stylishatsixty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do give it a try Jill. The hand was 99% healed after I applied the cream, thanks.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  3. MMMMMMMMMMMary, that looks absolutely de-lish!!! Sorry to read that you burnt your hand so badly. I hope it's healing nicely. The very first 30 seconds of your video put a smile on my face as in between the sizzling fresh herbs etc. appears a cute little face, waiting to be covered by yummy onions! :o) Looking forward to the next food video!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the video and the idea of the tart. Delish! Going off to check what you mean about the cute face, maybe a rogue snippet has crept in!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete