Remember ...

If not now, when?

Wednesday 26 October 2016

Tennerfest - Treat or Trick?

Now, a little back-story for you today, dear reader.  I have to give you this back-story in order to defend my corner.  For I've been doing a fair bit of dining out of late and there will be times when I have to drop my recently-adopted lily-livered approach to food shots on this blog and give you pictorial evidence of what I been up to.  For I have been eating.  Rather a lot.

You see, during the month of October, we have something over here called the Tennerfest.  The idea is for restaurants to produce 3 course meals for £10 and sort of compete with each other for the locals' trade.  This creates a buzz on the island and boosts restaurant trade in the relatively quiet period between summer and Christmas. 

That's how it started about 20 years ago.  Needless to say, whilst a few restaurants still honour the £10/3 courses, most have over time either increased prices so that a meal is no longer a tenner, and/or have reduced the number of courses for a tenner.  But a restaurant near us, here, is one of the few that does an amazingly good 3 courses for £10 ...


... and that is where I headed happily when I wore this.

(3 courses? £10?  I have told you I am tight, eh?!). 


(For my Sibs - my Little Boy Blue pose!)
Woolovers heather long-line jumper, Peacocks grey jeans. M&S snake print flatties.


And an embroidered mauve shawl, last seen here.


Nicely togged for a short evening stroll down to the nearby restaurant. But that's not what happened.
For the heaven's opened and the rain belted down.  So instead of a nice leisurely 10 minute stroll we had a 2 minute dash in the car.  I couldn't take shots of the pretty walk to the restaurant.  I didn't even get any pre-prandial exercise to justify my gluttony! 

That's autumn for you, eh, unpredictable.  Even BBC weather can get it wrong this time of year.  Err, Michael Fish and his infamous no-storm forecast hours before The Great Storm of October 87, under whose eye our island nested?

And now, with due restraint, I post you food pics but also with an added bonus, a recipe.


After fish bon bons, I had Beercan burger with gorgeous spicy chips.  I just had to try this from the menu as I'd first seen this burger on a Swedish blogger's site some months ago and had made the dish myself.  So I wanted to taste a Pro's efforts.

I'm justifying this food pic primarily because I want to share my recipe with you.
Here's what you do.  You roll your minced beef mix (mince with added onions, seasoning, herbs etc) into a ball then press down a can in the centre to make a well.  You fill the cavity with whatever gorgeous stuff you fancy and top with cheese.  I filled mine with red onions, cherry toms. mozzarella and lots of herbs. The restaurant's version was a mix which included mushrooms.  Oh joy! :-(.
Anyway. stuffing chosen, you then wrap the sides of the burger in streaky bacon and bake for about 20-25 mins, or less if you like it pinker.  
It really is rather yummy.  Fancy giving it a go?


But back to the pictorials of my gluttony, I'm also fessing up to pecan tart slice.


Very nice food, very nice servers.  Three courses. £10.  Thank you very much. 

And there you have it, dear reader.  My name is The Pout and I ate out thricely last week and I will be eating out three times again this week.  I am supporting local businesses during a quiet period by my over-eating, that's my altruistic starting point.  And I'm catching up with lots of friends.  All good.  

But now into my second week of gluttony, I am starting to feel decidedly uncomfortable, yet the meals keep coming with frightening regularity.  And I really don't know if I can take my 
altruistic task to term.  I don't know whether I can truly face my last few meals of the bunch, coming up scarily soon.  

I guess this is my own personal self-induced Halloween scare - eating out is now feeling more of a trick than a treat!



A la perchoine.






7 comments:

  1. You are really testing that lilac and purple aren't you. I am making my plans regarding that challenge. I'd have had pecan pie too and darn the waist. Oh dear what are we coming to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anna, what are we like indeed! I feel I need mauve in my life. Then I go goth black. Then I hook up with some pie. I am all over the place! I need one of your challenges!

      Delete
  2. 30 miles to the nearest eating place and that's just a cafe - so jealous of all the places so near you. Love that color on you. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, it's great to hear from you. 30 miles to a cafe, you really do live in the rural west! Though you do have peace and beauty to compensate for the lack of nearby eateries. I'm pleased you like the colour, mauve is quite flattering. Hope you enjoyed your vicarious visits to my castles and gardens recently! Thanks for popping in, it's always lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
    2. Hi Rhonda, it's great to hear from you. 30 miles to a cafe, you really do live in the rural west! Though you do have peace and beauty to compensate for the lack of nearby eateries. I'm pleased you like the colour, mauve is quite flattering. Hope you enjoyed your vicarious visits to my castles and gardens recently! Thanks for popping in, it's always lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. Liked the little boy blue pose and wondered if the photo below was beau peep too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you again, Tarquin. Oh yes, I do seem to have a curtsey thing going on in the last pic - well spotted!

      Delete