Remember ...

If not now, when?

Sunday 10 May 2020

Lib Day in a Corset!

Yesterday was the island’s 75th 🇬🇬 Liberation Day. .
.

Lockdown 2020 thwarted the island’s plans for big celebrations. .
.

Instead we had a homespun and pared back day, and this seemed somehow a more fitting way of respectfully marking the occasion. .

.
I hope all Guerns had a very happy Lib Day. 





My choice of dress for our 75th Liberation Day tea party was not my finest hour however, according to hubs. .
.


I wore my vintage 1986 French Rene Derhy  dress for our garden “party” ... and I discovered I’d added about 6 inches to my waistline in 34 years.


1986, when the dress wrapped around my waist!

 Dressing for the day required several  many heavy duty safety pins.  But I stuck with it as the dress has a 40s tea dress vibe and was in keeping with the sentiment of the day and the planned activity, being to sit out in the front garden, eating chancre crab sarnies, swigging Prosecco and distance chatting to neighbours and passers by. 


At the end of the day when I was released from my “corset” and could breath again, The Photographer opined that it was time to say goodbye to the dress 😢😱. 
But I don’t have to  listen to ALL his fashion advice eh 😉?
.




A la perchoine, 
Mary x. 

8 comments:

  1. I love your homespun decorations and your floral dress has a lovely print. I think it is a good choice to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best dress I could have chosen for the day, thanks Terra. Do you have a similar day in NZ?
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  2. Just love those colours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, an uplifting print undeed!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  3. Double celebrations on this 75th Lib Day! The fact that, after 34 years, you were still able to wear the dress, is a celebration in itself. Well done you; it still looks stunning on you and so perfect for a tea party! If you are not ready to let it go yet...don't, whatever P says! Don't tell him I said that :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Dutchie, but let's loose the word "wear" loosely as it was pinned closed! TP days he doesn't care if I keep it .. . So long as I don't wear it!!!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  4. Heavens, we all have things from the 80's we can't get rid of. Keep it! It's a very classic dress and as long as you can get in it-I have things I can't even begin to get in and I have kept them. Beautiful photos-I especially liked the story you had on Instagram about it. Take care, XOXO Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Terri, and thanks for making me feel better about holding on to dresses that I shouldn't wear out in public!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete