Remember ...

If not now, when?

Saturday 11 January 2020

A Taste of Summer


OMG.
I’ve had an instant taste of summer in the midst of winter.

Fried tomatoes on toast.  Just like my gran used to make.

For the full story please follow the link to my 2016 post
sunny-summer-breakfast
It’s a good read, I’ve just read it and thought “Did I write that?!”.


I had a lot of baby tomatoes left over from Christmas  entertaining.  Yesterday I threw some into a prawn curry I made.  This morning I threw another pack in the frying pan for breakfast.  
And BINGO!!!

Bringing a touch of summer to a grey cold January day couldn’t be easier. 
Half the baby tomatoes.
Fry in butter (Guernsey butter if you want to max out on flavor).
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry slowly until the tomatoes go mushy and start to caramalise.
Towards the end of cooking grab a finger full of brown sugar, sprinkle over and mix around a bit.
Serve on buttered toast and wait for the explosion of taste from that first bite of this simple but oh so delicious breakfast.

I am still floating on cloud nine with the memory of it as I slurp back my mid-morning coffee. 
Summer on a plate!


This is good, honest and simple fare.   Made with a few ingredients we all have lurking in the house.  And it’s quick.  What more convincing do you need?  Try it today!


A la perchoine,
Mary x.



4 comments:

  1. Snap!! Only half an hour ago, I threw my leftover cherry tomatoes in a pan with celery, onion, cucumber and spices to make my own tomato juice... Your recipe sounds yummy but, alas, too late for my tommies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bingo!! Next time try this simple toms on toast and you will instantly think of Guernsey!!
      Happy hugs, x.

      Delete
  2. One of my favourite breakfasts is tomatoes on toast - I must try the pinch of sugar addition to mine...
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we are Tomato Twins, Vronni! Such a lovely start to the day, eh. The pinch of sugar makes all the difference, IMHO, as it counteracts the acidity in the toms.
      Happy weekend hugs, x.

      Delete