Remember ...

If not now, when?

Saturday 25 May 2019

Love The One You're With


Hello my lovelies!

It's that time of year when my mind's a blank when I try to remember what I wore this time last year.
Sometimes I buy something then think "Hey, I've already got something very similar.  Somewhere."  
Which is good because it reaffirms my own personal style and choices.  And then hopefully the piece returns whence it came.

I guess if ALL my season's clothes were stored in ONE place I would save myself the palaver of the buy/return cycle.  
But it is what it is.

When this happens and I find myself with two (or more!) of the same thing, I invariably assure myself that my first piece is still just fine and that I should continue to love the one I have.  Like with these recent purchases ...



White Jeans

I thought I'd pretty much hooked out my summer clothes but could only find one pr white jeans and one pr white trousers.
Hardly enough to keep me going through the summer months eh?
So I went on a white jeans spree and ended up with 5 prs on my bedroom floor. 

Duh, this doesn't make sense.  I managed with just two pairs of white bottoms last summer?  That doesn't sound like me.
Some of my summer stuff just may have strayed into my winter storage cubes, thought I.  And they had.

And thus, seeing six (yes six!) pairs of white jeans and crops fluttering on the clothesline was an immensely satisfying (and money saving!) feeling.


So I'm loving the ones I'm with, like these from Per Una.


And the five new pairs have been returned whence they came. 



Yellow Dress

During my white jeans hunt I found myself lured by this cute Next number.

Credit  Next

But when I tried it on home I of course realised I had one very similar, which I love. 


 Yes, I found my old dress in the white jeans cube stash too!

So my cute yellow gingham shift has been returned whence it came.



Red Dress

Now I don't have a red dress per se and I'd been lusting after one, probably because social media is awash with them this SS19 and thus so is my brain.


I found this one from Peacocks.
Wrong shape and length for me.  Better with a shift dress, thought I.

Credit Next


So I found myself a shift.

It was ok, but just that.  Ok.  No real love.
So red dress and shift were returned whence they came.



And this isn't red, it's pink, but I can live with subtle hue variation.  And the more flattering shape!



So what I've learned from this little exercise is two-fold:

1. Sometimes you keep getting drawn back to the same style, colour or print.
2. When this happens, check your storage cubes, you probably already have it!




As Steve Stills advocates, just love the one you're with!
Good on the purse, good on the environment.



A la perchoine,
Mary x.

Thanks for popping by, I hope you leave me your calling card, a comment!
And don't forget to check back for my reply if you've left a comment.



17 comments:

  1. You look great in all those photos so your choices are spot on. I too love shift dresses, so much more flattering than other shapes on me. I started to lose weight last year when switching to a low cholesterol diet so last summer I bought quite a few new pieces in a size down from my previous size. Horror, when I tried them on recently they were all too big as I had dropped another dress size since then. Cue a frenzy of online shopping to replace these barely-worn items with the same or similar smaller ones - and quite a lot of muttering and moaning from the other half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that’s great news eh, and I’m sure your hubs is secretly happy with your second shopping spree. You’re going to have to share that eating plan as it sounds like you
      lose weight without realising it. My kind of diet!
      Hugs my dear, x.

      Delete
  2. I've started writing down what clothes are in which box / bag and where! I do the same thing Mary, quite often order a denim skirt, say, when I already have 2, because I'm hoping to find a more flattering one. Same with white trousers. I'm also becoming better at sending the new stuff back, if it doesn't surpass the old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail, yes noting contents is a good idea; trouble is I reuse bags and boxes and forget to change the table, so confusing! You are si rugs, the key is to try new stuff but still be analytical with comparisons and being ruthless with returns.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  3. I like the denim jacket with that dress.
    new pst:
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2019/05/holi-festival-of-color-2019-kharkov.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody, the jean jacket always works eh.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  4. Love all these outfits!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't rescued my dresses from storage yet but I'm getting to that stage of wondering where things are! White jeans are the toughest thing to buy I think. Quality of denim so it's not see through and quality of fit always makes it hard for me. Love the pink floral dress on you Mary Va Va Voom! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I had a bit of a panic and hooked out and washed 11 summer dresses during the week, plus skirts, chinos etc, so you'd better catch up, Laurie! So right about the jeans. I find some of the fabric so thick, why , when they're meant for the HOT months!!
      Thanks so much for the va va voom!!!I
      Hugs, have a great week, x.

      Delete
  6. That's a pretty yellow dress, and will be just right for the summer. Thanks for sharing. x Jacqui Mummabstylish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, there's something about summer and yellow eh?
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  7. So many cute looks, sweet Mary!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my cute n sweet friend, sending you XOXOs (We don't do those and I've never really understood them!!)
      Hugs (we do THOSE!), x.

      Delete
  8. Having a wardrobe big enough to see everything I own without having to hide things away in boxes is something I'm really looking forward to with this new house, haha! I am glad you managed to find some things you thought you didn't have, amazing the things that can get hidden away!

    Thank you so much for joining the #weekdayWearLinkUp :) Hope that you are having a great week :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true Mary. I wear and wear my old stuff and new hardly sees light of day, which is a lesson to me of course. Love the old tatty and wrinkly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do do do do do do do-do! Love that song Mary! And so true. I did a whole Spring summer closet revamp as I wasn't feelin alot of the older clothes I had. But there are my favorites! Love that you found your pieces in your storage! LOve the yellow dress, such a bright color and the white jeans are fab!
    thanks for linking!
    jess xx

    ReplyDelete