Remember ...

If not now, when?

Friday 22 March 2019

Bottling It Up



The Photographer likes loves single malt whisky ... and so do I !!

Not for the beverage itself, which I can't drink for, as with tea, it doesn't reach my mouth because of my retching reaction to the smell!


I love single malt because these beautiful black bottles it sometimes comes in are a gift to the home faffer.  And when the single malt has been knocked back, well, it's a free vase!



I've sprinkled my on-trend black bottles around the house, here above the fireplace in the front lounge, next to my Gran's mirror.








There are some pretty clear bottles to be drained too.  Here, another beauty with fatsia japonica, next to one of my garden's last spring hyacinths.



It's not just malt whisky that provides the homeowner with such bounty.




How about a few sprigs of hazel in a ho ho ho and a bottle of rum?!



This beaut is from St Nicholas Abbey Distillery, Barbados.
I love the simple square shape and the sheer weight of its base makes it the perfect receptacle for tall spindly branches.
I'd almost go back there just for another bottle.   And the content was rather good too 😜!!

These are just simple ideas - taking a striking bottle, drinking it dry then sticking something different in it!





Another way to use up great glass shapes is to create a chalk bottle.
A couple of coats of chalkboard paint (B&Q, Home Depot) is all it takes, then attach a piece of chalk or a chalk pen to the bottle with string.

A chalk bottle is nice place to leave little messages for each other.  Mary Knows Best is one I pull out of the bag when TP is convalescing.  It keeps him in line!

I made quite a few of these to give as presents, chalking on the recipient's house name on dangled black hearts for a personal touch.



There are more possibilities that I haven't yet explored that require just a tad more effort (and a fair amount of wine quaffing, it would seem!)






Credit, Pinterest various


By popular demand, the link to the spray paint that can achieve this pretty effect can be found below.


Pinterest is a mind-blowing source of ideas.  People out there are so inventive and creative!


Have you looked at the possibilities of a bottle before chucking it in the recycling?  There are some beauties around.  Think for a moment about giving it a second lease of life before it gets ground up as useful recycled glass grains.



A la perchoine,
Mary x.



The beautiful sea glass effect is simply achieved with a quick spray on clean and dry bottles of various shapes.  Further details of the 
opaque spray can be found here.







 I'm excited to see what beauties I can create with this sea glass spray!!

28 comments:

  1. Oh wow. What a wonderful idea. We get through quite a few wine bottles each week (ahem) and this will save the embarassment of taking a lorry load of empties to the recycling bins each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, JayCee, that Dump of Shane at the recycling point - so pleased I've saved up you from this!
      Happy weekend hugs, x.

      Delete
  2. Hi Pout-this was a gorgeous post and filled with great ideas. I shove some tiny battery operated lights (are these called "fairy lights" there?) into empty wine bottles and stash them around Chez Jules for ambiance-easy, cheap reminders that we need more wine!!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, sweet Jules, du er saa soed! Love your ambience-easy idea at Chez Jules and love how your've turned your hyggelig stemning into an aide memoire. Thanks for popping in with your funny observations, as always!
      Happy weekend hugs, x.

      Delete
  3. What great ideas. Sadly we Muttons hardly ever drink anything so no bottle action in our house. I am always looking for distinctive vases and ceramics in charity shops. I love the little ink pot bottles on the Sarah Raven website. Every year I put them on my Christmas list, but no-one has ever bought me any. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. We went TT for most of 2018 and alcohol-light this year, so I'm pleased I saved the pretty bottles. Must check out Sarah Raven and hope you get your ink bottle one day, your perseverance will pay off!
      Happy weekend hugs, x.

      Delete
  4. Those are lovely presents! We have a local guy here who makes and producers cream gin! Such a delite! But the bottles are White and so very pretty. I have used then as vases too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those gin bottles sound so pretty, Nancy.
      Have a great weekend, x.

      Delete
  5. I've picked up blue beer bottles and once a frosted bottle that once held Vodka off the roadside. Soaked in a little bleach and water, they're good to bring inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So impressed that you spotted those beauties along the roadside, Jean, both types sound pretty unique.
      Happy weekend to you, x.

      Delete
  6. These bottles look lovely! I don't drink so I don't have any pretty bottles like this around to repurpose but they look so good in your home :)

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend :) It's a quiet one here as it's still so hot, too hot for autumn!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mica, sorry you’re not getting your long-awaited cool snap yet.
      There are other great bottle shapes to be picked up and providing the base is heavy enough they’ll work too.
      Wishing you a super week ahead, x.

      Delete
  7. Mary does know best! What a fantastic way to recycle old bottles. They look great and I love the unusual shapes. I need to make Brian drink whiskey - ha! Not gonna happen. I guess I could peruse the neighbor's trash. I'd love to make the chalkboard painted bottles, what a fabulous gift idea. I also love the sea glass bottles for summer. You are quite the creative one!
    Well done my friend! Hugs to you and TP!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, don’t force-drink whisky to your lovely Brian, go check out whether your neighbours are single malt drinkers instead as I think these high-end spirits come in high-end bottles - they’ve got to be heavy to use as vases.
      The sea glass spray is available on Amazon (I’ll add a link above) and I guess you can pick up the chalk paint in Home Depot.
      Happy crafting! Hugs, x.

      Delete
  8. Just saw your IG post about your bottles. I’ve kept a few in my day. Being very land-locked I have a very romantic notion of sea glass-and I love how those look. The chalkboard paint looks fun-I need to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over, Terri. The chalk paint is easy to use, I have a chalk wall too which is fun for the family.
      I've added a link to the seagrass spray as it seems to have sparked interest. Good luck!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  9. They are look super and what a wonderful idea to re-use them. I'm more of a gin or prosecco drinker - but i suppose i could use these bottles too. Thanks for sharing. Jacqui Mummabstylish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jacqui, any heavy bottle works for this and it's such an easy thing to do.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  10. The bottles look so stylish with your choice of plant matter in them. Funnily enough I put a beautiful blue bottle of locally distilled Irish gin in my sideboard last week as I felt it was too good for the recycling bin...I know what to do with it now!

    Have a great week,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vronni, some bottles are just way too pretty to get ground down eh. You blue bottle sounds pretty, I hope you post a pic of it soon.
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  11. You have given me inspiration for my gin bottle collection. I haven't thrown any out as my plan was to use them for candles but here are so many more ideas. Yes I need to soak the labels off first, and drink up the gin. Better get cracking then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough job but someone's got to do it! Empty those bottles and show me your work, twin!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  12. Mary, you have a great collection of bottles and I'm with you about the retching reaction to the smell (and taste). XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, The Retch Sistas! Did you notice the wooden beads? I bought them after seeing them on your blog!
      Hugs and have a great day, x.

      Delete
  13. I've seen cute bottles painted orange and turned into pumpkins for fall decor too! There are so many great options for reusing bottles! I love etching glass as a gift. Instead of buying a new thing I need to look around and see what I could make from what I have! That dish soap dispenser would be such a cute house warming gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound a crafty lady, Laura, I've not tried etching, it sounds quite difficult. Yes the soap dispenser is pretty and practical as a gift.
      Happy Twosday!
      Hugs x.

      Delete
  14. Love the chalk bottle idea. And I love the first bottle and the square one. Now that's a good idea.My friend runs a pub and I will be messaging her! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lucky to have a friend with a pub!!! Not for the alcohol in your case (your allergies) but for a source of amazingingly shaped bottles. Look out for the heavy bases which work best for balance. Good luck!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete