Remember ...

If not now, when?

Friday 11 August 2017

Portelet

I am with cold, ladies.  In summer, can you believe?!
My cold was kindly gifted to me by The Photographer a few days ago.  To be fair I have a much weaker version of it, but that's our little secret - please don't let on to TP as he's waiting on me today with hot soups and coffees ... and I'm milking it for all I can get!
So please take this is an apologetic sick note as I was not in attendance on your screens yesterday but please let me make it up to you today with some fine beach shots.


Portelet
I'm looking back to better days, last Sunday to be precise, when I went for a beach walk around a cute little fishing port called Portelet which is just down the coast from where I live.   I came here with you back in January, it's much nicer in August.


The day wasn't quite warm enough for swimming and beach frolicking.  But it was the next day so I took the GKs down there for a fun day of splashing and swimming and sandcastle building whilst TP huddled up in bed with his bad cold. 


And yes, an ice cream from this well-stocked beach kiosk just may have passed my lips :-).



It's definitely a proper working port.  Saltwater-rusted tractors lay idle, on call to tug the fishing boats to and from the water.  Fishy smells linger - where's smellivision when you need it?!


I found a less pungent place to sit and reflect 



These were the homes of the lighthouse men, BITD; the lighthouse is all hands-off digital now.





Because it's a working port, it's a quiet beach at the weekends.  Peaceful.




And for this little stroll I wore a open-shoulder top from Peacocks.


The white crops are also from Peacocks.  They're getting rather baggy now.  The elastane has been and gone.
 

Of course I had to carry the flatties like a handbag during my beach stroll. 
Life's lesson learned, I wore Birkies or my beach trip the next day which are totally saltwater-friendly.


 And to round off the day, I paused to sit on a local granite memorial bench.


Behind me is a propeller remaining from a Flying Fortress, brought down in the bay with its crew in 1944.


On a brighter note, this is the beach house the GKs decided I should buy.



And here's the old fishermen's hut I could just about afford!


So, feeling poorly as I wrote this post put me in mind of the scene in You've Got Mail, where Meg Ryan with dreadful sniffles is on a tissue-strewn bed, tapping away real-time to Tom Hanks on her laptop.  I couldn't find a snippet of that, so here's the next best thing ... 






A la perchoine.



20 comments:

  1. Hello PP--So sorry to hear that you are unwell and hoping for your speedy recovery!! Revel in the kind and loving care of TP, you deserve it and your secret is safe with me!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful beaches of your island home with this desert gal, such a treat :) Your floral top is so lovely and a nice change from the completely open "cold shoulder" style that seems to be everywhere over here. I am seeing that style in all the clearance sales now so others must be tired of that look as well. YES!!!to the scene from "You've Got Mail"--that's a longtime favorite and I think I watch it at least twice a year-I have it on videotape and will cry when it finally disintegrates or the technology leaves me behind-which wouldn't be the first time that happened!!! I am rambling away, sorry. Have a good restful day and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind wishes, Jules, and like Meg I am surrounded by spent tissues. TMI?! Glad you like the film. I'm a romcom gal, defo! I was without Chevy Chase's Funny Farm (my Christmas must-watch) for years when my video player packed up, but finally got it on DVD a couple of years ago. But Meg's easily available on DVD.
      It's nice to see where people live, it's a shame you can't share shots of your desert with us.
      I would have serious bra issues with a full on cold shoulder and from your sales research, it sounds like other ladies do too!

      Delete
  2. What beautiful scenery. Your top is darling and the color is lovely on you. Hope you are feeling much better quickly and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thanks for your good wishes, I'm in good hands with hubby and cat! Glad you like the top and the little bit of the island I've shown you today, it's a pretty island and the beaches are so lovely, x.

      Delete
  3. Oh, it's always a bummer when you get in the summer. It seems so unfair. I'm glad your husband is taking such good care of you! LOVE the open shoulder top. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thanks so much and yes, it seems such a waste of a few good days, x.

      Delete
  4. Love the top, hope you will soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Polly. Have perked up tonight after watching some fantastic athletic performances!

      Delete
  5. I didn't send that cold to you via email did I? I ave had a stingker too Mary. Hope your both on the mend. These photos are lovely and I think you should "think pink" more often! That's a gorgeous shot of you against the rocks. I like the different shading in your hair. xx
    www.vanityandmestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, think you must have! It's nasty and today was my first day of feeling slightly human again so my sympathies go out to you, it's awful eh? Thanks for your sweet words and so glad you like my two tone hair, I call it my skunk look!

      Delete
  6. Get better soon, PP. Sending a hug from across the pond!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind wishes, Duchesse, I'm one of many who've had it and struggle to shake it off.

      Delete
  7. So sorry you are soooo unwell. Mr TP must take absolute care of you and attend your every whim to ensure your recovery. I hear it can be quite drawn out perhaps a few weeks 😊. I do like you in that pink top. A great purchase for you. I can see it with your grey jeans too when the autumn comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetie, Mr TP likes your humour. I picked up something from the doctor today, it would be sooo disappointing if it didn't work 😉.
      Thanks, I haven't grey-jeaned-it, there's a thought but I may not need to wait till autumn, what is this with 20c EVERY day for weeks?!

      Delete
  8. I hope that you are feeling better now, take care of yourself and have some rest ...
    The beautiful place that you are sharing is ideal for a walk and the beaches look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting there, thanks, Dan. Yes, our beaches are so pleasant and there's so much good swimming to be had in the sea all around the island. Hope to get a swim soon!

      Delete
  9. Hey Mary, hope you're on the mend soon! Fabulous shots of this beautiful beach. You do make me laugh, thanks for that. I'm loving the Peacocks top - snap! It's very cute on you. xx Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui, thanks for your good wishes. Loving that I bring a few giggles to your day. And the top is a steal from you, I saw your post and rushed out to buy one!

      Delete
  10. Ack!, nothing more unpleasant than a summer cold. I haven't had one this year (had one last). I can't imagine being surrounded by beaches. Your top is pretty. Is Peacocks a brand or boutique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, yes, those summer colds take you by surprise and you miss out on so much. I missed some pool frolics this week for fear that I'd worsen it.
      Glad you like the top, Peacocks is a UK brand; I've just checked their site, they have no stores in the States.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete