Remember ...

If not now, when?

Wednesday 6 July 2016

Great Dixter


Great Dixter. 
An amazing place.  So amazing that I am going to let the pictures and this link do the talking.  Mostly. 
Just want to say that it's in East Sussex, north of Rye.  If you are in the area, please do pay it a visit.
The rambling gardens are a wonderful blend of wild and cultivated flowers, thoughtfully planted together.  The eye is treated to new and magnificent sights with each twist of the head, with each turn of the corner.

I am a sucker for outbuildings and these did not disappoint either.  The house is pretty lovely too.

You will not believe that these are just a few of the many photos I took on the day.  They are a chatterbox of photos - I think that's the collective noun for a group of photos that do all the talking.

I have a little garden-crush going on right now ...


This dress was pretty perfect for the day, it kept me nicely cool.  It's a bit of anomaly (in my mind) that a long dress is cooler in summer.  But it is.  The dress is shown in more detail here.


Don't me and the house look good together :-) ?



Neat vegetable patches.








I loved these.



I loved the colour mixes.



I loved the big pots.  Got my drift yet? I loved it all!



Taking a breather on a hot summer's day.




Shade!


Bumpy old rooflines.  How do these stay up?!



Aged woodwork abounds.


Families can picnic, here against an oasthouse backdrop



or you can follow my lazy girl's approach to a picnic - café fare. Scrummy flans and interesting salad mixes are on sale. The ginger beer is great too.
(And please don't judge me on my table setting!)


I love old barns.


And I love old sheds even more.


But I wouldn't kick the house out of the woodpile either!










And what a note to finish on.  The house is a real mix, a splicing of "modern" Lutyens and a 15th century hall.
I think me and the chatterbox of photos have said it all!
Hope you enjoyed your day at Great Dixter.  I did.


A la perchoine.


4 comments:

  1. oh one of my favorite gardens i've been to! it was such a beautiful place the day we went. altho the roses were not in bloom yet. i loved the sculpted shrubs in the wild setting. i've never seen anything like that before. we also got a tour of the main house which was just incredible. do you live in england?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you've had the pleasure of visiting Great Dixter and that my post brought back those wonderful memories, Janet. The mix of flowers as nature intended is awe-inspiring.
    No, I don't live in England though in retirement I am spending time here and I'm loving discovering what beauty and history lies on my doorstep in Sussex.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I found you via Jane. I grew up in Rye so recognise Great Dixter of course. Great gardens and fab pics. Your blog seems similar to mine.Fashion, outings, fun, cooking and finding our place in the grown up years.I tend to post style more on my style blog and outings on my Anna blog. I figure men prefer to avoid the fashion stuff so split it. It works for me. I live in Sussex so it features in my writings too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love your name tag, Anna! I do enjoy Jane's blog. Welcome to my little blog offering. I'll pop by yours, I'm sure I'll love it too.
    I do sort of force The Photographer to read my blog when I can but I admit that it probably doesn't have much bloke-appeal! The mix was what I enjoyed when I discovered blogs, but I am new to the game so goodness knows where it will take me!
    Great to hear from you, hope you pop by again.

    ReplyDelete